Okay… I might have gotten a little carried away making this Hot Buffalo Chicken and Bacon Grilled Cheese.
There’s just something about grilled cheese that’s so unforgettable. After all, who can resist melted cheese smacked between perfectly toasted, buttered bread?
Sometimes, I think I’m over it—you know, done with all the childish things. Then I get hungry and there’s “no food in the house”, but I find bread, cheese, and butter. Grilled cheese, you got me again. Every time.
This is more of a grown-up grilled cheese. Like with everything in adulthood, it’s a little more complex. It’s so much more than two grilled slices of bread slathered with butter and melted cheese.
Let’s talk about this over-the-top, magnificent sandwich shall we? Shredded chicken with hot buffalo sauce and cheeses; a layer of bacon and more cheese; perfectly grilled and toasted with butter. Oh, HELLOOOO.
Drop everything. Make this grilled cheese ASAP.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 8 slices bacon
- ¾ cup hot buffalo sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- ¼ cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- half a stick celery, chopped
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 thin cheddar cheese slices
- butter, for melting on skillet
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Lay the bacon slices on the lined baking sheet and cook in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Take bacon out of the oven, then lay bacon slices on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up bacon grease.
- Warm the hot sauce in the microwave for 30 seconds, then set aside. In a large mixing bowl, mix together hot sauce, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese until cheeses have melted. Fold in the chicken, celery, and green onions. Season with salt and fresh black pepper to taste.
- Prepare the sandwiches. Top one slice of bread with a generous amount of buffalo chicken mixture, two slices of bacon, a slice of cheddar cheese, then cover with the other slice of bread. Repeat until all the buffalo chicken mixture is used up.
- Cook the sandwiches. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Melt a pat of butter on the skillet. Place a sandwich on the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add another pat of butter to the skillet, turn the sandwich over, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and cheese has melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.