I’m so bummed that summer is coming to a close! I don’t know about you, but I’m trying to “stock up” (my stomach) on my favorite summer ingredients before pumpkin this and pumpkin that take over the entire country. One of my favorite summer ingredients is watermelon, so I decided to make this (easy peasy) Grilled Watermelon Salad “Pizza”.
Personally, I love sweet and salty, so I really enjoy the flavors of cheese and fruit together. I know that some might hesitate when they see savory fruit dishes. I guess it does sound a little weird, but honestly, your taste buds are in for a treat! It has such a unique flavor and it is so refreshing.
There are so many ways you can cook with fruit, but grilling it is probably my favorite. When those flames hit the fruit… then the sugar in the fruit becomes caramelized… dannnng! It’s quite incredible. I brushed the watermelon wedges with a little lime and shallot vinaigrette. The vinaigrette adds another element to the flavor profile and it also helps keep the fruit from sticking to the grill. It only takes about 2-3 minutes to grill the watermelon, so make sure to keep an eye on it.
I also added farmer cheese to the grilled watermelon. Farmer cheese is pressed cottage cheese. Its texture is crumbly and dry, and it has a milder flavor—compared to cottage cheese. I’m absolutely in love with it. If you can’t get farmer cheese, you can certainly use feta or even shaves of parmesan.
I also added in arugula, fresh mint, roasted pistachios, a drizzle of honey, and a little Thai chili powder for some spice. How can you go wrong with this salad (hint: you can’t)? Grilled Watermelon Salad “Pizza” is the perfect recipe to end the summer with!
Bring this recipe to that end-of-summer BBQ you have to go to this weekend—your friends/family will thank you!
Oh, and if you’re into savory fruit dishes, try this: Thai Grilled Shrimp and Apple Salad. So fresh and so delicious!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2-3 limes)
- ½ shallot, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- small watermelon
- 7.5 oz. farmer cheese
- fresh mint
- roasted pistachios
- thai chili powder (optional)
- Whisk together the lime juice, shallot, salt, and black pepper. Then, slowly whisk in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Turn on grill and set to medium-high heat. Preheat grill for 10 minutes.
- Slice the watermelon into 1-inch thick slices. Each slice should make about 5 wedges. Brush both sides of each watermelon wedge with the lime and shallot vinaigrette.
- Carefully place the watermelon wedges on preheated grill. Then, grill until you see grill marks—this should take about 2-4 minutes per side. Remove watermelon wedges from grill and place on a large tray or plate and let cool slightly.
- Carefully crumble farmer cheese with fork or your fingers and sprinkle on top of watermelon wedges. Then, add arugula, mint, roasted pistachios.
- Finally, drizzle watermelon wedges with honey, and if you like, sprinkle some thai chili powder on top for some spice.