I mean, we’re talking, like, snappy, crispy, and chocolatey. You know, like those crispy edges of a brownie. You know exactly what I’m talking about.
I’ve been purchasing these little bags of brownie brittle lately during my trips to the grocery store. They seem to mysteriously jump into my cart – I can’t help it. What I don’t seem to remember before purchasing them is that they only seem to last me about 1-2 episodes of Game of Thrones. Lame.
Since this brownie brittle addiction of mine is becoming quite expensive, I decided it was time to learn how to make them on my own. After researching online, I’m happy to report that I’ve successfully learned how to make them at home! Wheeeeee!
This recipe is adapted from King Arthur Flour. A couple changes I made: I used melted butter instead of vegetable oil (for more crunch) and used half chocolate chips, half peanut butter chips (because who doesn’t love PB&C), and walnuts.
Get these in your mouth ASAP!
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (good quality)
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped finely (optional)
- ). Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- ). Melt the butter in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat. Set aside to cool a little. In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- ). In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Slowly add in sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, melted butter, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Stir in milk powder and flour mixture. Fold chocolate chips into the batter.
- ). Pour the batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread batter as thin as possible and evenly with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the peanut butter chips and walnuts on top of the batter. Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes.
- ). Remove brownie brittle from the oven and cut into squares or desired shape with a serrated knife--do not cut all the way through to separate the pieces. Return the brownie brittle to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Take out from oven and allow to cool in pan. Once cooled, break brittle into pieces. Serve and enjoy!