Who doesn’t like chocolate? Or dulce de leche? Or brownies? Well then, you’re in for a treat! Say hello to Salted Dulce de Leche Brownies.
Growing up, I was extremely lucky to have a mom who enjoyed cooking and baking from scratch. Since then, I’ve learned to also do the same, especially with brownies.
Gosh, she’d probably kill me if this was a box mix recipe. Thankfully, these brownies aren’t the kind you get in a box. These ones are fancy – they have dulce de leche swirled on the top and center, and a sprinkling of fancy sea salt flakes. I’m telling you: super fudgy, chocolaty, so ooey and gooey of a brownie.
This brownie recipe is from the one and only, David Lebovitz. That guy sure knows how to make brownies. Just because I have a thing for sweet and salty, I added sea salt flakes to sprinkle on top of the brownies.
You can find dulce de leche at Trader Joe’s or Amazon. If you’re like me and you’re too lazy to drive over to Trader Joe’s or too impatient to wait for Amazon Prime to deliver, simmer a can of sweetened condensed milk in a large pot of water for 2-3 hours. Then, hello dulce de leche! Yep, that easy!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1” pieces
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ¼ unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought dulce de leche
- sea salt flakes, such as Maldon, for sprinkling
- ). Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan then line with parchment paper, while making sure that it reaches up the sides.
- ). In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the chocolate and whisk over low heat until it has melted. Remove the saucepan from heat, the gently whisk in cocoa powder until there are no lumps. Slowly add in the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Stir in sugar, vanilla, and flour until incorporated.
- ). Pour half the brownie batter into the prepared pan, making sure to spread evenly. Dollop ⅓ cup of the dulce de leche by spoonfuls onto the batter. Gently drag a butter knife through the batter to make swirls. Spread the remaining brownie batter on top of the dulce de leche, the drop the rest of the dulce de leche by spoonfuls on top of the brownie batter. Use butter knife to make swirls again on the dulce de leche.
- ). Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle sea salt flakes on top of the brownies. Bake for another 20 minutes or until the edges are set. Allow to cool completely, and cut into either 9 large brownies or 12 small brownies.