I don’t know about you, but I kind of have a thing for grilled skewers. Meat on a stick, vegetables on a stick, fruits on a stick—whatever it may be, I’m there. What makes them wonderful is that they don’t usually require much time to cook, they’re (way) too easy to eat, and their flavor possibilities are endless.
Normally, I’m not a huge fan of bacon-wrapped asparagus. To me, they just lack flavor, even with the bacon. However, that all changed after I did some recipe testing this past week!
Instead of baking them, I used the grill to make it summer-friendly. Plus, “Eww, I hate grilled food”—SAID NO ONE EVER.
I also marinated the asparagus (Yass!) with Thai-inspired seasonings, then used the marinade to baste the skewers. I know, I know, you’re probably looking at your computer screen wide-eyed right now, but trust me, it awesome—and then some. Just make sure to use low-sodium bacon in this recipe, since there’s enough salt from the soy sauce.
These Thai Marinated Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus Skewers are so delicious, savory and sweet, charred in the right places, and man, I want more right now. This might possibly be the best summer appetizer this year.
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅛ cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tablespoon cilantro stems, minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes, optional
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 lb. low sodium bacon
- wooden skewers
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- MAKE THE MARINADE. In a large mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, garlic, cilantro stems, black pepper, and red chili flakes. Mix well.
- MARINATE ASPARAGUS. Trim the bottom, woody ends on the asparagus. Cut into two-inch pieces. Transfer to prepared marinade and toss together. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- START SKEWERING. Preheat grill to medium-high. Cut bacon slices into thirds. Wrap bacon slices around two asparagus spears. Skewer through the middle of the asparagus spears. Repeat until there are 4 pieces on each skewer. Repeat with the remaining asparagus and bacon. Transfer the leftover marinade into a small bowl.
- GRILL THE SKEWERS. Grill the skewers on direct heat for 15-20 minutes, or until bacon is crispy and asparagus is tender. While grilling, flip every 5 minutes while basting with leftover marinade. Serve hot.